Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Turkey and Patmos

Day two:  Turkey and Patmos.  Both beautiful places.  We were able to go to the ancient ruins of Ephusus and it was so awesome.  To see where St Paul spoke and was imprisoned, where Virgin Mary lived in solitude on the mountainside, and where Cleopatra and Marc Anthony walked down the marbled avenue was so incredible.  I'm still having that 'I can't believe I'm here' feeling.

Patmos is so beautiful.  The weather has been just wonderful after some morning fog.  Cool at night but beautiful skies.  Patmos is home to the monestary and tomb of John the Baptist.  We climbed like a million stairs today and Sheena is dealing with the pain but feels it was so worth it.  When we got to the top of the monestary you could see most of the island and the surrounding islets.  Amazing views.

Our taxi driver insisted he could get five us of in the car for $35 Euro round trip from the dock.  He did.  Sheena and Danielle got very close today - more than they ever thought they could.  Danielle became the airbag, of which  I said it was better than being an old bag.  I'm sure Michael our taxi driver thinks we are a bunch of crazy Americans.  I asked if he was married and he took it as flattery luckily cause he thought I was hitting on him (he was cute!) but I was just trying to see if he understood women (probably not).

This cruise is the first of the season to many of these islands and we have been greeted with music, dancing, flowers and sweet treats.  The shops and cafes are happy to see us as tourism is a major source of income for all of them. 

I can't attach photos yet as there is a problem with internet access and time I've had to do it.  I promise we are taking tons!

When asked how I liked Turkey today I said I love it and I was told, well why don't you stay.  I said I have no money are you going to take care of me?  No offers on that let me tell ya!

There are a lot of stray animals on these islands and that was bothersome at first but most are well fed by the shops and tourists.  One thing about Greece and Turkey and these cruise ships here - no wash cloths.  Someone tell Ashlee to bring her own when she comes in May.  We are making do - we're all resourceful, it's just another cultural difference between Americans and the rest of the world. 

Tomorrow is 10 hours in Rhodes.  We're taking a tour and then roaming and relaxing after that one.  Hope to get back on soon.

Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment