Saturday, March 5, 2011

One week until Greece

The final countdown.  This time next week I'll by flying over the Atlantic Ocean on my way to Frankfurt, Germany connecting to Athens, Greece with my companions for the trip Danielle and Sheena.  In some ways it doesn't seem real yet and I know it is because I have documentation to prove it. 

The professor gave us our cabin assignments yesterday.  He described some of the expectations including two mandatory excursions - one in Turkey and one in Crete.  Rough assignments, huh?  Require us to take these tours of historic sites to see ancient ruins in lands we've never explored. 

Packing remains to be done and may be the biggest challenge.  I'm up to it though and have been working on a plan.  For those that have traveled with me before, such as my twenty plus trips to Las Vegas, ya know I'm not a light packer.  I've been stranded too many times and I do require clean underwear.  This time I have to be creative and get everything into one suitcase and not exceed the weight limit, plus leave room for souvenirs - 'cause let's face it, I'm shopping! 

I have to admit shopping isn't a big priority but I have to bring something back for certain people in my life.  The professor asked us Friday what we expect/what we want out of this experience.  I want to interact with the natives, so to speak, I want to eat Greek food made by Greeks and not American's trying to imitate the real food.  Not that the Greek food in Indy is bad - good restaurants out there - but I'm told the food will be different.  I want to experience that myself.

I want to take in as much as my senses will allow.  Danielle is great with the camera and she'll do a fine job of capturing the scenes and faces.  I'll do what I can to document and remember the details that make this trip so awesome.

Mr. Whippet was teasing me yesterday about taking out life insurance on me because of the concern for my safety.  He's referring to the situations in the Middle East and some issue he heard on the news about violence in Greece, a story I did not hear.  He said he would probably just be losing money - he wouldn't collect on the life insurance.  I said 'damn straight, baby, I'm a survivor'.  He's not getting rid of me that easily.  He'll miss me - just won't admit it.

I so wish I could bring more people with me - I keep thinking so many would enjoy this trip. 

Life's a journey, not a destination - enjoy it all the way wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment