Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The English Experience

Left Sunday May 15, 2011 at a wicked early hour to catch the flight from Indy to D.C. Our captain was named Captain Kirk, I am not making this up.  The enterprise it was not, a good flight nonetheless.  From D.C. we flew to London's Heathrow.  Good flight, little turbulence, no lightening strikes, very smooth landing surprised me - expected more of a bounce. 

Waiting on us to clear customs were Tracey and Andy - she with her cowboy boots, suede fringed jacket and cowboy hat with tiny American flags in the band.  All smiles and hugs.  My first time meeting Andy - he's a lovely man.  She did good!  Talked until 2am after arriving at 10pm.  We all slept in a bit, took our time getting ready and then went to Brighton to shop and wander.  We tried West Cornwall Pasty and it was very good.  Looked at the channel from a distance because it was very cool and windy.

Tracey lives in Sompting, West Sussex, also near the channel.  It is a small village and we drove through the countryside seeing cows, horses, sheep, goats, and wild rabbits on the hillsides.  Everything greened up from the Spring.  We visited Stamner House for a moment to gather some papers Andy needed, but didn't go inside, we wandered the church yard looking at the flowers.  For dinner that evening we went to The Juggs - a very old pub with great ambiance.  Had Bishop's Finger ale - not as warm as I thought it would be as the bartender rinsed the glass in cool water first and the tap was kept cool.  I did enjoy it.  I kept thinking of warm beer equaled beer that's been sitting in the sun or a hot car.  Luckily wasn't that hot!  I had a beefburger that was one of the best bar burgers ever. 

Tuesday we were up and out by 11am to visit Hampton Court Palace and Henry the VIII.  Ol' Henry was in residence it turned out and very picky about my standing on his left versus right.  We loved the gardens.  I loved the weapons room and Ol' Henry's large bedchamber with the two rows of curtains around - no witnesses!!!  Henry didn't do any sex tapes his day I tell ya - not with those heavy drapes!  We had a snack in the cafe which boasted its sustainability - environmentally conscious even here.  We had a nice drive back from the palace and I 'dropped off' in the car like a tired child after my outing.  We met Tracey's chiropractor and she got a quick treatment while we chatted with Joan, the office manager.  The English have been very nice to us Americans so far.  During our evening chat we discussed how both of our countries were disliked by the French. 

Tracey has enjoyed playing her country music CD's I burned for her  Her house is so nice and is the perfect size for someone like me.  I love her tastes in decorating.  Danielle is sleeping in Chloe's old room, now a sowing room and I'm in the extra room and quite comfortable.  She had chocolates waiting for us and gifts along with our linens.  Her dog and cat have taken to us - especially Danielle and the cat - the cat loves getting her back scratched.  Danielle took a great photo of Tracey's cowboy boot collection!

Dinner that night was take out - fish 'n chips in paper - the proper way to have it.  Andy and I drove over to Penhill Fisheries in Lancing to pick it up.  I was able to ride in the passenger seat up front - remember they drive on the right over here.  It didn't freak me out or anything but I did feel like there was a big empty space in front of me where the steering wheel should be.  I liked that we were getting food from a local establishment versus some chain.  Burger King and Mc'D's are here but not on our list.  We brought the food home - very hot still in its paper - we ordered smalls and the portions were still large.  One piece of fish but a large piece.  Danielle got a large order of chips and it was monstrous.  No one ate everything.  I am not normally a fish person, but when in Rome, or in the case England.  It was very good and I doubt I get anything at home to touch this - damn sure won't be Long John Silver's - not even close!!!!  I tried ginger beer and we had Jack Daniels Single Reserve while we ate, talked and listened to music.  Very relaxing.  One of my favorite moments so far.

Wednesday (today) was a trip to Marine Park for pictures, walking down the rocky beach to gather a stone from the English Channel for Dakota's collection.  From there we went over to see Tracey's father, he was very nice and is working on a book that I'll be waiting to read.  We went down to George and Dragon Inn for lunch - very good!  More of a restaurant than a pub but quite pleasant inside.  The vegetarian risotto was good and very filling.  More driving back through the countryside heading to Marks & Spencer for some shopping.  Sitting at home now relaxing.  Eating in tonight as we are headed to a pub in Amberley to hear and watch the Morris Dancers - an old English tradition.  I can't wait.  Will also be meeting Tracey's daughter Chloe and some friends.  I expect it to be a good time. 

We'll leave very early for the airport for the next level of our journey to Germany where Alison and family area waiting our arrival.  She has the fridge stocked and waiting in the guesthouse and a friendly argument has begun over English chocolate versus German chocolate.  I am reserving judgement and have an ample supply of English chocolate to compare with the German.  It may be a tie. 

until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment